Prior Release Notes¶
Last Updated: December 2017
Information about prior releases is shown here.
Powered by Miniconda Environment¶
- Tethys Platform is now installed in a Miniconda environment.
- Using the Miniconda includes Conda, an open source Python package management system
- Conda can be used to install Python dependencies as well as system dependencies
- Installing packages like GDAL or NetCDF4 are as easy as
conda install gdal
- Conda is cross platform: it works on Windows, Linux, and MacOS
Cross Platform Support¶
- Develop natively on Windows, Mac, or Linux!
- No more virtual machines.
- Be careful with your paths.
- Completely automated installation of Tethys
- Scripts provided for Mac, Linux, and Windows.
- Experimental Python 3 Support in 2.0.0
- Tethys Dataset Services is not completely Python 3 compatible
--python-version 3option on the installation script
- Python 2 support will be dropped in version 2.1
- Leaner, updated theme for app base template.
header_buttonsblock for adding custom buttons to app header.
See: App Templating API
- Developers can create App Settings, which are configured in the admin interface of the Tethys Portal.
- Types of settings that can be created include Custom Settings, Persistent Store Settings, Dataset Service Settings, Spatial Dataset Service Settings, and Web Processing Service Settings.
- The way Tethys Services are allocated to apps is now done through App Settings.
- All apps using the Persistent Stores APIs, Dataset Services APIs, or Web Processing Services APIs prior to version 2.0.0 will need to be refactored to use the new App settings approach.
See: App Settings API
tethys listcommand that lists installed apps.
- Completely overhauled scaffold command that works cross-platform.
- New options for scaffold command that allow automatically accepting the defaults and overwriting project if it already exists.
- Brand new Getting Started Tutorial
- Demonstration of most Tethys SDK APIs
See: Getting Started
- New way to call them
- New load dependencies Method
- Updated select_gizmo to allow Select2 options to be passed in.
See: Template Gizmos API
- Updated OpenLayers libraries to version 4.0
- Fixes to make MapView compatible with Internet Explorer
- Can configure styling of MVDraw overlay layer
- New editable attribute for MVLayers to lock layers from being edited
- A basemap switcher tool is now enabled on the map with the capability to configure multiple basemaps, including turning the basemap off.
- Added the ability to customize some styles of vector MVLayers.
See: Map View
Plotly View and Bokeh View Gizmos¶
- True open source options for plotting in Tethys
- Sessions will now timeout and log user out after period of inactivity.
- When user closes browser, they are automatically logged out now.
- Expiration times can be configured in settings.
- Fixed issue where
tethys uninstall <app>command was not uninstalling fully.
- There is now a formalized mechanism for creating permissions for apps.
- It includes a permission_required decorator for controllers and a has_permission method for checking permissions within controllers.
Terms and Conditions Management¶
- Portal Admins can now manage and enforce portal-wide terms and conditions and other legal documents.
- Documents are added via the admin interface of the portal.
- Documents can be versioned and dates at which they become active can be set.
- Once the date passes, all users will be prompted to accept the terms of the new documents.
The GeoServer docker was updated to version 2.8.3
It can be configured to run in clustered mode (multiple instances of GeoServer running inside the container) for greater stability and performance
Several extensions are now included:
Tethys Docker CLI¶
- Modified behaviour of "-c" option to accept a list of containers names so that commands can be performed on subsets of the containers
- Improved behaviour of "start" and "stop" commands such that they will start/stop all installed containers if some are not installed
- Improved behaviour of the "remove" command to skip containers that are not installed
- Updated the Select2 Gizmo libraries to version 4.0.
- Not changes should be necessary for basic usage of the Select2 Gizmo.
- If you are using advanced features of Select2, you will likely need to migrate some of your code.
- Refer to https://select2.github.io/announcements-4.0.html#migrating-from-select2-35 for migration help.
- Use the TETHYS_MAP_VIEW.getSelectInteraction() method to have more control over items that are selected.
- MVLayer Select Features now supports selection of vector layers in addition to the WMS Layers.
- Added support for images in the legend including support for GeoServer GetLegendGraphic requests.
Workflow Job Type¶
- New Condor Workflow provides a way to run a group of jobs (which can have hierarchical relationships) as a single job.
- The hierarchical relationships are defined as parent-child relationships between jobs.
- As part of this addition the original Condor Job type was refactored and, while backwards compatibility is maintained in version 1.4, several aspects of how job templates are defined have been deprecated.
- New Tethys CLI command to run tests on Tethys and apps.
- Tethys SDK now provides a TethysTestCase to streamlines app testing.
- Persistent stores is supported in testing.
- Tethys App Scaffold now includes testing module with example test code.
- Installation Instructions for Ubuntu 16.04
- Fixed an issue with URL mapping that was masking true errors with contollers (see: Issue #177)
- Fixed an issue with syncstores that use the string version of the path to the intializer function (see: Issue #185)
- Fixed an issue with syncstores that would cause it to fail the first time (see: Issue #194)
- Open account signup disabled by default
- New setting in settings.py that allows open signup to be enabled
- Feature selection enabled for ImageWMS layers
- Clicking on features highlights them when enabled
- Custom styles can be applied to highlighted features
- Basemap can be disabled
- Layer attributes can be set in MVLayer (e.g. visibility and opacity)
- Updated to use OpenLayers 3.10.1
- D3 plotting implemented as a free alternative to Highcharts for line plot, pie plot, scatter plot, bar plot, and timeseries plot.
Spatial Dataset Services¶
- Upgraded gsconfig dependency to version 1.0.0
- Provide two new methods on the geoserver engine to create SQL views and simplify the process of linking PostGIS databases with GeoServer.
- Places button on all app pages that activates a feedback form
- Sends app-users comments to specified developer emails
- Includes user and app specific information
- Handoff Manager now available, which can be used from controllers to handoff from one app to another on the same Tethys portal (without having to use the REST API)
- The way handoff handler controllers are specified was changed to be consistent with other controllers
Jobs Table Gizmo¶
- The refresh interval for job status and runtime is configurable
Dynamic Persistent Stores¶
- Persistent stores can now be created dynamically (at runtime)
- Helper methods to list persistent stores for the app and check whether a store exists.
- Apps now feature optional descriptions.
- An information icon appears on the app icon when descriptions are available.
- When the information icon is clicked on the description is shown.
- Missing initial value parameter was added to the select and select2 gizmos.
- Addressed several cases of mixed content warnings when running behind HTTPS.
- The disconnect social account buttons are now disabled if your account doesn't have a password or there is only one social account associated with the account.
- Fixed issues with some of the documentation not being generated.
- Fixed styling issues that made the Message Box gizmo unusable.
- Normalized references to controllers, persistent store initializers, and handoff handler functions.
- Various docs typos were fixed.
- Social login supported
- Google, LinkedIn, and Facebook
- HydroShare coming soon
- New controls on User Profile page to manage social accounts
D3 Plotting Gizmos¶
- D3 alternatives for all the HighCharts plot views
- Use the same plot objects to define both types of charts
- Simplified and generalized the mechanism for declaring plot views
Job Manager Gizmo¶
- New Gizmo that will show the status of jobs running with the Job Manager
- SDK methods for creating and managing workspaces for apps
- List files and directories in workspace directory
- Clear and remove files and directories in workspace
- Use handoff to launch one app from another
- Pass arguments via GET parameters that can be used to retrieve data from the sender app
- New video tutorials have been created
- The videos highlight working with different software suite elements
- CKAN, GeoServer, PostGIS
- Advanced user input forms
- Advanced Mapping and Plotting Gizmos
New Location for Tethys SDK¶
- Tethys SDK methods centralized to a new convenient package: tethys_sdk
Persistent Stores Changes¶
- Moved the get_persistent_stores_engine() method to the TethysAppBase class.
- To call the method import your app class and call it on the class.
- The old get_persistent_stores_engine() method has been flagged for deprecation.
Command Line Interface¶
- New management commands including
- Modified behavior of
syncdbmanagement command, which now makes and then applies migrations.
- Options objects for configuring gizmos
- Many improvements to Map View
- Improved layer support including GeoJSON, KML, WMS services, and ArcGIS REST services
- Added a mechanism for creating legends
- Added drawing capabilities
- Upgraded to OpenLayers version 3.5.0
- New objects for simplifying Highcharts plot creation
- Added the ability to draw a box on Google Map View
Tethys Portal Features¶
- Reset forgotten passwords
- Bypass the home page and redirect to apps library
- Rename the apps library page title
- The two mobile menus were combined into a single mobile menu
- Dataset Services and Web Processing Services admin settings combined into a single category called Tethys Services
- Added "Powered by Tethys Platform" attribution to footer
- Provides a unified interface for all apps to create submit and monitor computing jobs
- Abstracts the CondorPy module to provide a higher-level interface with computing jobs
- Allows definition of job templates in the app.py module of apps projects
- Added documentation about the Software Suite and the relationship between each software component and the APIs in the SDK is provided
- Documentation for manual download and installation of Docker images
- Added system requirements to documentation
- Naming new app projects during scaffolding is more robust
- Fixed bugs with fetch climate Gizmo
- Addressed issue caused by usernames that included periods (.) and other characters
- Made header more responsive to long names to prevent header from wrapping and obscuring controls
- Fixed bug with tethys gen apache command
- Addressed bug that occurred when naming WPS services with uppercase letters
- Added parameter of UrlMap that can be used to specify custom regular expressions for URL search patterns
- Added validation to service engines
- Custom collectstatic command that automatically symbolically links the public/static directories of Tethys apps to the static directory
- Added "list" methods for dataset services and web processing services to allow app developers to list all available services registered on the Tethys Portal instance